Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The Commandments of Mommy

 

I realize that there are certain rules that need to be established and/or re-established in how to treat your mommy. 

Rule 1: DO NOT call your mother a whore when you don’t want anyone saying anything about you.  When I want your opinion I will ask for it. 

Rule 2:  You don’t have children, when you do I will listen to your advice.  Wait a minute, I still have more experience than you do.

Rule 3:  This is my house.  If you care to be a productive member of this household with the perks of living here, you must participate in the not-so-pleasant tasks that involve living in my home. 

Rule 4:  This is in reference to Rule 3.  I am NOT the maid.  It isn’t my job to give you your mail, switch your clothes over to the dryer then bring them to you, or pick your laundry, shoes and other miscellaneous items out of the common living areas. 

Rule 5:  I am here for you.  I  will listen to your problems,  be there for your highs and lows, snuggle with you when you are tired or cold.  I will NOT however, be told what to do because you think you are right, be played against another child and/or listen to you berate others just because they don’t meet your standards. Seriously, no one does. 

Rule 6: You can borrow my clothes.  Please treat them with the same respect I treat yours.  Follow the care instructions when washing, ask if your not sure.  Don’t leave them laying all over the house.  When they are clean put them back where you found them.   Thank you

Rule 7: I gave birth to you, I am an adult and therefore respect is a given.  End of story.

Rule 8: You break it, you bought it applies to my home.  If you can’t afford to replace it then leave it the hell alone.  Again, thank you.

Mother of the year, I am not. Never have I claimed to be.  I have been many different people over the years since becoming a mommy, I still work on it.  ‘Do no harm to others’ is the motto of my life at the moment.  Live your life your way and leave me to live mine, however I may choose at the moment.  The best words of wisdom my mother ever gave me was, “Who cares what other people think”.  These words were told to me by a dying woman.  A woman who died two months after uttering those words and who lived her entire life trying to be what others wanted.  I am so glad that lesson was taught to me at the age of 21.  I have kept it tucked away through the years, pulling it out when needed to get me through rough times. 

No comments:

Post a Comment